Taken from: The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers: Improving the Way Your Family Eats, One Meal at a Time! by Janice Bissex, Liz Weiss, and Laura Coyle
Makes 6 Servings
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% or higher)
- 2 large omega-3 eggs, beaten
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly oil or coat a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mash the beans in a large bowl using the back of a large fork or spoon until smooth but still a bit chunky.
- Add the beef, eggs, carrot, bread crumbs, ground flaxseed, ketchup, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
- Place the meat mixture in the middle of the baking dish. Shape into a 6 X 8-inch rectangle, about 1-1/2 inches high.
- Spread 2 tablespoons ketchup evenly on the top and sides. Bake until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160°F, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let stand for a couple of minutes before serving.
Print Makeover meatloaf recipe
Nutrition Information per serving: 280 Calories, 11g Total Fat, 3g Saturated Fat, 1.3g Omega-3 Fat, 23g Carbohydrates, 6g Fiber, 640mg Sodium, 23g Protein, 110% Vitamin A, 20% Iron